08 October 2007

Silly Trent Green, I Don't Pity You...Too Much


Sucks It Had To Happen, But He Kinda Had It Coming

That was the scene Sunday when, for the second year in a row, Trent Green got carted off with a concussion after making a very, very stupid decision. In week one of last year, Trent Green was scrambling to make a first down when he got hit when making an attempt at a slide. Green was well withing the distance to make the first down and get out of bounds, but he made the idiotic choice to slide instead. Robert Geathers was demonized for that hit, despite being in the process of tackling well before Green attempted to slide, and also despite that he was essentially clipped into Green by his own wide-receiver, Eddie Kennison. Even the NFL came out and said that it was a clean hit, but as usual, the ignorant Kansas City Chiefs fans that I have the misfortune of being in the general vicinity of felt the need to still call it a cheap hit. Yesterday, Trent Green was making a block for his team on Travis Johnson, the only problem for this block was that it was at Johnson's knee. I don't care who the hell you think you are on a football field, YOU DO NOT GO FOR ANOTHER PLAYER'S KNEE! Instead of ending Johnson's season, and potentially career, Trent Green went down with another concussion and was carted off of the field, and in the aftermath, Johnson was penalized for taunting Green as he lay on the ground. The backlash against Johnson has been ridiculous for his taunting Green, yet, it doesn't bother me. Yeah, it sucks for Trent Green that he got taken out with another concussion, but at the same time, he shouldn't have made such a horrible block. To reiterate my point earlier, YOU DO NO GO FOR ANOTHER PLAYER'S KNEE! Trent Green is at a point in his career that he needs to be looking out for himself, that means he needs to quit putting himself in dangerous situations like this. If he can't bring himself to correctly block and not do it in a fashion that could ruin the career of the player that he is blocking, then Trent Green has no business blocking people at all. As far as I'm concerned, Travis Johnson was right in "taunting" Trent Green as he lay on the field. How would it have looked the other way around if Green laying the block, and his helmet, into Johnson's knee had left Johnson on the ground unable to continue playing, possibly ending his career because Green couldn't put a legit block on him? The worst part of all of this is that thanks to ESPN, I am going to have to listen to nothing this week but people talking about how horrible a person Travis Johnson is because he taunted Green while he was on the ground, yet noone will point out that Green was easily the player in the wrong with the block that he tried to lay on Johnson. It's horrible to say, but I really do hope that this time Trent sees that he isn't the player he was and finally decides to hang it up and be done, before he goes back out there and messes himself up even more, or even worse, messes someone else up bad enough that they cannot continues to make their living.

"My knee ain't never hurt like it hurt today. If you want to hit me, hit me in my head, hit me in my chest, don't hit me in my knee. I'm trying to eat just like everybody else. So, to hit me like that, that showed me what type of man he was." - Travis Johnson

Week 5 Picks: So far, I'm 8-5 this week. San Francisco, Detroit, Denver, Tampa Bay and Green Bay couldn't get it done for me.

MLB Playoffs: So far, I'm right on my picks. Now I just need those damned Yankees to just quit and lose.

Monday Night Football Pick: Dallas. I wish they would lose to Buffalo, but it's not going to happen. It kind of says something when, on the Monday Night Previews, they tout Tony Romo and the Cowboys...and then they are left with noone to tout for the Bills but Marshawn Lynch.

Thanks to Google Images for the picture and KSK for the quote

No comments: