19 October 2007

Week 7 and Homecoming


gotta love the theme this year

I go to a small college right now as opposed to being like everyone else I graduated with and going to KU or KSU, more specifically, I go to Emporia State in Emporia, KS. It's a nice smaller town that gets moderate support from the community ranging from the businesses that bend over backwards for us to the businesses that go only as far as hanging a poster for the current play or current sports team schedules and then on the bottom rung which is the businesses who try to act like the college doesn't exist. This weekend is also Homecoming for us, and yet again, I'm failing to get excited for it. In past years we have been blessed with such horrible themes as "Oh Wow, A Luau" and "Dancin in the Street" which actually gave this year promise when I saw that the theme was "Old Time Black and Gold." To the uninitiated, this is a play off of the song "Old Time Rock and Roll" they just changed rock and roll with our school colors, get it? It's funny. Now, I'm not completely sure on what other schools may do to celebrate homecoming, but I feel like we get stuck with nothing but events that probably wouldn't even make it into a high school homecoming celebration. On the lineup this year, we have tricycle races, a night of shitty skits put on by the fraternities and sororities all finished up by the usual football game that I am sure we will end up losing. Ya know, the other departments always bitch about how noone shows up to the school events because they're out partying and such, but maybe if they put on events that were, oh maybe fun, then they might get a bolstered attendance. The non greek population of the school doesn't enjoy going to events where the school kisses ass to the greeks, so why would they bother going? It seems fairly common sense to me. The other thing that bothers me in the football team. How long do I have to go through school with teams that don't win? After I graduated high school, their team got really good and now contends for state every year, and now I'm at Emporia State where we have a fairly underachieving team who will probably kick ass after I graduate. I was at the game last weekend, like I am every weekend we have home games and I noticed something interesting about the difference between the two teams. Washburn is huge. They have some very large players on the team, whereas we have little guys who bulk up certain parts of their bodies...the arms. Is Emporia trying to make a point by playing smaller players on the team instead of recruiting some of the larger guys coming out of high school? Is this bound to pay off for us in the long run? Will we get a homecoming win this year? I doubt it, we'll probably be unable to execute on the same draw play and fail to try anything else. Just a couple of the billion things wrong with the school I guess, oh well, maybe they will all enjoy the RA's playing a game of tug of war at halftime...I won't get my hopes up.

WEEK 7 PICKS
47-42 on the year after a shitty week last week. I need to quit slacking.

Ravens v Bills

Lions v Bucs

Pats v Dolphins

Saints v Falcons - Streak time

Giants v 49ers

Redskins v Cards

Texans v Titans - No Vinsanity means no win

Bengals v Jets

Chiefs v Raiders

Cowboys v Vikings - I've got Purple Jesus fever

Bears v Eagles

Seahawks v Rams

Steelers v Broncos (SNF) - Can't go against my team

Jaguars v Colts (MNF) - It's bound to happen sooner or later

Enjoy the weekend, I know I'll have a blast working the whole thing.

No comments: